Romantic Rose Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 cups plain flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ½ cups castor sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 200g tea infused butter, melted (see recipe for this below)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp red food colouring
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line 18, 80ml (1/3 cup) capacity muffin pans with paper cases.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir through the sugar.
- Whisk the buttermilk, tea infused melted butter, eggs, vinegar and vanilla in a large jug until combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just combined. Stir in the food colouring.
- Divide the mixture among the lined pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Tea infused butter:
- 280g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Dilmah Exceptional Rose with French Vanilla tea
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan until just liquid.
- Add the tea leaves and continue heating the mixture for 5 minutes over very low heat.
- Remove the butter from the heat and let the mixture stand for another 5 minutes.
- Strain out the tea leaves by pouring the liquid butter through a sieve into a bowl.
- Press the tea into the sieve with spoon on order to squeeze out the butter it has absorbed.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 x 250g package cream cheese, chilled
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 cups icing sugar
1-2 tsp rosewater (optional)
- Have the cream cheese cold and butter at room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and rosewater until blended. Add sugar one-third at a time and beat just until smooth and the desired consistency. Do not overbeat.
- When the cupcakes are cold, pipe the cream crease frosting on top or use an ice-cream scoop to dollop the frosting on the stunning red-domed cupcakes.
Mr Gift has a great range of kitchen utensils and gadgets that make perfect gifts for conscientious cooks and budding bakers.