Eugenie Pepper has "been making this stuffed pumpkin for years for all family and friends when we get together", so this recipe is a tried-and-test favourite. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can do it vego (as below) or add bacon, as Eugenie suggests in her tips below.
Image from www.finecooking.com
- 1 x pumpkin
- 30g butter
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 300ml pure cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Use a sharp knife to remove the top of the pumpkin and set aside. Scrape out and discard the seeds and fibre. Melt butter in a large frypan over medium-low heat.
3. Cook onion, stirring until it softens.
4. Add breadcrumbs and garlic, and cook, stirring, until crumbs are well coated. Season well.
5.Stir in cheese.
6. Place pumpkin on the tray and pour enough cream into the cavity to fill to the top, pouring slowly to allow cream to be fully absorbed.
7. Place pumpkin lid on top and bring sides of the foil up around pumpkin. Cover top with more lightly oiled foil so pumpkin is completely enclosed. Bake in the oven for 2-3 hours or until tender (test by piercing the flesh with a skewer).
- Sometimes I use leeks instead of onions, sometimes I add bacon. Amounts will vary depending on the size of pumpkin and don't need to be exact - "it always works out even with different amounts," says Eugenie.
- If there's pumpkin left over it's perfect to make into soup.
About Eugenie Pepper: Eugenie Pepper and her husband Shane are the founders of iconic baby and kids fashion brand, Plum. The couple have two children, Tommy (5 years) and Chloe (4 years), who inspire them and keep them active. Eugenie comes from a creative background - she studied design at university and previously worked as an interior designer and textile designer. Eugenie is passionate about design, fashion, textiles, art, food and cooking. Read more about Eugenie and Plum here...