- 1/2 cup milk
- 450ml thickened cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp stevia (or similar)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ½ cup Strawberries
- ¼ cup Blueberries
- ¼ cup Raspberries
- 1 sachet sugar free lime jelly
- 1 sachet sugar free raspberry jelly
- Four glasses
Use fresh berries, mango or stone fruit to celebrate the flavours of summer in this trifle
- Pour jelly sachets into two separate bowls, and following the instructions on the back of the packet make the jelly into liquid.
- Pour around two centimetres high of red jelly into each of your glasses. Evenly distribute the walnuts and half of the strawberries into the liquid. Place glasses, along with remaining red and green jelly into the fridge to set for four hours.
- In a sauce pan, heat milk, cream and vanilla extract over medium heat until just below boiling point, then remove from heat. Whisk together egg yolks and stevia in a bowl, and slowly add in the heated milk mixture stirring continuously. Return to the stove, and cook on a low heat stirring continuously for around 4 minutes, or until the custard coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat, and leave to stand for around 15 mins, stirring occasional until cool. Cover with cling wrap to ensure a skin doesn’t form, and place in the fridge to chill.
- Pour the remaining cream, vanilla extract and stevia into a bowl, and using an electric mixer beat together until the cream becomes nicely whipped.
- Remove jellies and custard from the fridge. In your glasses, spoon around 2cm deep of green jelly over the red. Pour around 2 cm deep of custard into each cup, then spoon another 2cm thick of both red and green jelly. Pile the whipped cream on top, evenly dividing the mixture, and top with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.