Gift ideas, stories, tips and great advice from the Mr Gift team
Monday, 8 April 2019
NEW: Gorgeous Greeting Cards
8 reasons to love greeting cards
When I was growing up, my mum had a pretty box filled with an assortment of beautiful greeting cards she had collected for any occasion: birthdays, thank you, sympathy, blank – you name, she had it! She would always keep her eye out for new cards to add to her ‘stash’ so it never depleted, even as she gave them away. Whilst she didn’t necessarily pick specific cards for specific recipients, she had a wide enough selection to find the perfect card for anyone. And because she had selected ones she really loved, they were all gorgeous.
As an adult, I am now also an avid card collector. I not only love collecting to cards to give to others, but also to display as collections in frames. They are an affordable way to decorate your home with work from artists you love. It is also fun trying to find the perfect frame to display them in. Here are some other reasons why you need greeting cards in your life:
1. A greeting card will brighten anyone's day 2. There's a greeting card for any occasion - birthday, engagement, wedding, anniversary, birth of a baby, farewell, get well, death, to say thank you...or just to say you care. 3. There's a greeting card to suit anyone. If you can’t find one with the right message, get a blank one and write your own! There is plenty of greeting card message inspiration online, such as these ideas from Creatively Belle. 4. You can write as much or as little as you like, or even find a card with the perfect message. If you can't say it in person, say if with a greeting card! 5. You don't need an occasion to give a greeting card 6. You can keep a stash of greeting cards tucked away so you’re prepared for any occasion 7. If you are giving a gift voucher or cash as a gift, inserting it into a greeting card with apersonal message removes the risk of it being an impersonal gift. 8. When you buy a greeting card you potentially support not one, but four Australian businesses: the Artist, the publisher, the printer, and the retailer. Whilst the role of the "middle man" is often questioned, the reality is that many artists are happy to outsource the publishing and printing of their work as it means they can focus on what's important: creating art.
2. Drifting Through Time by John Downton $5.95 John has captured the tranquillity of being surrounded by water in this exquisite work, Drifting Through Time. The subject matter is simple, but executed so effortlessly that you can imagine hearing the lap of the water against the boat as you drift along.
4. Proteas in Red Vase by Peggy Shaw $5.95 Proteas have become very popular in floral arrangements in recent years, due to the broad range of colours and forms available. Peggy Shaw has been inspired by their beautiful shape and colour in this work, 'Proteas in Red Vase' - a marvellous showcase of Australian native flora. The perfect card for any flower or gardening enthusiast.
5. Afternoon Reflections by Helen Cottle $5.95 One of our most popular Helen Cottle cards, Afternoon Reflections has a serene quality, that is thoughtful and reflective (as the name suggests). We love the predominantly black and charcoal background, which contrasts beautifully with the rich red accents.
7. Rhapsody in Red by Helen Cottle $4.95 Helen Cottle's vibrant poppy card is the perfect accompaniment to birthday gifts, anniversary gifts, thank you gifts and more. Also a timely card for ANZAC Day.
9. The Mobile Rose Garden by Geoff Hocking $5.95 We love Geoff Hocking's quirky characters. This particular work draws the viewer in - wondering where this couple are off to with their flock...and why the rose garden is mobile? There is never a dull moment in Geoff's works, and often something new and different to observe with each glance.
10. First Light, Autumn Morning by Lyn Cooke $5.95 The soft red and pink tones in Lyn Cooke's work, First Light, Autumn Morning (Australian Scarlet Robins), contrast beautifully with the dark background. Lyn Cooke really is a master at capturing birds - a notoriously difficult subject due to the level of detail. The perfect card for bird/wildlife enthusiasts and friends and family overseas.