There are two secrets to a great pizza: a really hot oven, and a simple 'less is more' approach to the toppings.
Check out this delicious recipe for tomato, basil and salami pizza - you'll be surprised at how easy (and tasty) it is to make that you'll think twice before reaching for the phone to order takeaway again. We reckon this one will also get dad's seal of approval for an easy Father's Day lunch or dinner.
Makes 2 large pizzas
• 500g flour
• 2 x 7g packet of dried yeast
• 250ml luke warm water
• 1 tbs salt
• Pizza sauce – you can make your own or use a store-bought one (Leggos is pretty tasty).
• 300g hot salami
• 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes halved
• 3 handfuls of torn basil leaves
• 2 handfuls of fresh rockets leaves
• Mozzarella or pizza cheese
1. Tip the yeast into a large mixing bowl, add a little of the water, a sprinkle of flour and mix until combined into a sticky ball.
2. Cover with a dry tea towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the yeast ball from the bowl, add the flour making a well in the middle, return the yeast ball to the centre of the well, add salt and top with water.
4. Combine the mixture until it pulls away from the edges of the bowl and forms a ball.
5. Tip the mixture onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius Pop your pizza stones or trays into the oven as it heats, this will ensure you get a crispy base on the pizza as it cooks.
7. Ensuring your work surface is well floured, cut the dough into two and stretch or roll the dough to the rough size of your trays/stones.
8. Top the first pizza with a good amount of pizza sauce making sure you spread it evenly and right to the edges, half the salami, half the cherry tomatoes, one handful of torn basil leaves and top with cheese. Repeat with the remaining pizza base.
9. Carefully transfer the pizza bases from the work surface to the trays/stones. If you have made the bases too big don’t worry. Simply fold the excess dough up on itself, you will see I have done this on the edge of the pizza. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has turned golden and the base it firm to touch.
10. Place onto a serving board, I like to use a big cutting board, top each pizza with one handful of rocket leaves and half a handful or the remaining basil.
Enjoy with dad for Father's Day!
Thanks to Jessica from Daily Gluttony for this delicious recipe: http://dailygluttony.wordpress.com/