This humble recipe could change your life for the better, in more ways than one. Breakfast in bed on Father's Day, Sunday night easy dinner, hearty and healthy lunch. Having any of these meals these prepared for you would no doubt make your life easier, but with the added benefit of helping your kids get confident in the kitchen. We’re not talking about fancy pants show-off cooking, but a recipe that your kids will want to cook time and time again that is the foundation of good cooking.
This easy recipe is one that on Father's Day you could enjoy preparing with your kids for breakfast - it's quick, simple and wonderfully tasty! Take the time to teach your kids how to master this dish, and they are on their way to a rewarding cooking life. Or if they're capable mini-masterchefs, just sit back and enjoy!
Home-made Baked Beans - perfect for Father's Day breakfast, easy Sunday night dinner, or a hearty lunch
- 400g tin beans (cannellini, haricot, butter or borlotti)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbs Worcestershire or soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried
- Salt and pepper
Equipment you will need:
- Can opener
- Chopping board
- Spoon measure
1. Drain and rinse beans
2. Heat oil in pot, add onion and garlic, cook for 2-4 minutes or until cooked
3. Stir in tomatoes and Worcestershire or soy sauce
4. Mix in beans, oregano, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and heat until gently bubbling
5. Cook for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens
6. Serve with crusty toast
Tip: Add chorizo, bacon or pancetta when frying the onion. Serve with a wedge of potato cake.
Thanks to our friends at Get Kids Cooking for sharing this delicious recipe.
Get Kids Cooking is teaching thousands of Aussie kids how to cook and appreciate healthy and nutritious food in their primary school cooking classes, and also have an exciting cooking subscription that allows families to Get Kids Cooking @ home.
The special Father’s Day cooking kit aims to give parents and kids the inspiration and wherewithal to learn core cookery skills and healthy cooking at home, through creative culinary fun in the kitchen!
Little do kids know that making a meal not only feeds their tummies, but it gets their minds cooking too – plus cooking gives them a chance to express themselves creatively and take pride in sharing a meal with Dad that they prepared.
Suitable for boys and girls from 5-13, the monthly cooking kit starts from $19.95 and contains:
- Kitchen tool to build your very own tool kit
- How To Use skill card to master your new kitchen tool
- Earn the badge of the month, iron onto your apron and build your collection
- Tried and tested recipes that kids will love!
- Shopping list for the recipes
- “Chitter Chatter” cards to help get your family talking at the dinner table
- Fun, food related craft/activities
- Sibling packs include a badge per child and additional items for activity
Cooking together with your kids is a great way to build lasting memories - with Get Kids Cooking @ Home, the age-appropriate recipes help them gain confidence in the kitchen and discover the joys of cooking. www.getkidscooking.com.au
Want more recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter here...